Welcome to CAP Space!
“CAP Space” was created by the ACM Committee for Computing Education in Community Colleges (“ACM CCECC”) to provide organized access to high quality resources and tools that support teaching and learning at all levels of computing education, with an emphasis on the two-year college environment.
By using this website, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the terms and conditions outlined in this Acceptable Use Policy ("AUP") and agree to be bound by them. We the ACM CCECC may change or modify the AUP from time to time without prior notice, so please review this policy occasionally to ensure your acceptance and ongoing compliance. Please note that in using CAP Space you may click an item that takes you to another website and you may want to review the policies, notices, terms, and conditions of such destination sites.
All users of CAP Space must comply with this AUP, the purpose of which is to promote the use of CAP Space resources while also protecting the rights and privileges of the CAP Space user community.
CAP Space is a free and open resource designed for use by students, parents, faculty, educational administrators, academic advisors and other interested parties. In that spirit, the ACM CCECC allows access to CAP Space and the materials therein for personal and non-commercial uses as set forth in this policy. The ACM CCECC is committed to ready access to effective, high quality teaching and learning materials, tools and resources that support computing education. By using CAP Space, you agree to the terms of this AUP and promise to use any content found on the CAP Space website, whether in whole or in part, for wholly legal, ethical, non-commercial, personal and professional educational purposes.
Permission to Use
A statement such as the following must appear with all material attributed to the CAP Space website: "Reproduced with permission from the ACM Committee for Computing Education in Community Colleges (www.capspace.org). All rights reserved." Permission does not extend to items within the site that are reprinted by permission of other publishers and copyright holders; it is your responsibility to obtain separate permissions for these items.
Members of the CAP Space user community are encouraged to contribute meaningful content. However, you are cautioned that any online communications may not be fully confidential. You are responsible for any information or materials you place on the CAP Space site. You understand that all information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, tags and/or other materials whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated. This means that you, and not the ACM CCECC, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available via CAP Space. The ACM CCECC does not control the content posted by others and, as such, does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such content. Content provided on CAP Space should generally be regarded as the opinion of the specific author and not necessarily statements of advice, opinion, or information by the ACM CCECC. You understand that by using CAP Space you may be exposed to content that you may find offensive or objectionable and that, in this respect, you use CAP Space at your own risk; if you feel you might be offended by the content of CAP Space, you should not continue. All content posted to CAP Space must be focused on the topic of computing education or learning and teaching in general, as well as users’ experiences and discussions as they relate to these topics. The ACM CCECC reserves the right to remove any content it deems inappropriate.
Right of Content
The ACM TYCEC does not claim ownership of content you submit or may make available for inclusion on CAP Space. However, with respect to content you submit or may make available for inclusion on CAP Space, you grant the ACM CCECC perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such content in connection with CAP Space.
CAP Space contains links to other websites on the Internet. The ACM CCECC is not responsible for the content, accuracy, copyright compliance, decency standards, or other materials on such sites, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products or other materials on or available from such sites or resources. You further acknowledge and agree that the ACM CCECC shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such site or resource.
The ACM CCECC may create forums or communities within CAP Space that focus on particular subjects. In association, an individual user may be designated as a community’s manager with the ability to establish rules, policies and guidelines that apply to a particular community, including but not limited to eligibility requirements for membership in the community, access rights for users within the community and rules concerning the posting of content to the community. You agree to abide by the rules, guidelines and policies established by such community managers for their communities, provided that such rules, guidelines and policies do not conflict with this AUP or applicable law.
Termination of Access Privileges
You agree that the ACM CCECC may, under certain circumstances and without prior notice, immediately restrict or terminate your access privileges to CAP Space, at its discretion. You agree that all terminations for cause shall be made at the sole discretion and that the ACM CCECC shall not be liable to you or any third party for any loss of access privileges.
Violations of Acceptable Use
The following constitute violations of this AUP:
- Intentionally or unintentionally violating any applicable local, state, national or international law or regulation.
- Reproducing, duplicating, copying, selling, trading, reselling or exploiting for any commercial purpose materials found on the CAP Space website, or reselling CAP Space products, services, features, or site contents without the written permission of the ACM CCECC.
- Uploading, posting, e-mailing, transmitting or otherwise making available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of unsolicited e-mail or bulk-mail for commercial or non-commercial purposes to CAP Space participants or using a CAP Space e-mail or website address to distribute commercial e-mail or forging headers or otherwise manipulating identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any content transmitted via CAP Space.
- Using CAP Space services or resources or related objects in any manner to harm, or attempt to harm, minors in any way.
- Engaging in or supporting any efforts to upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar or obscene or contains adult themes or images, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, falsely represented, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable. The ACM CCECC reserves the right to singlehandedly take appropriate measures, including deleting content, blocking any member from posting to our site and/or revoking participation for any behavior we determine to be damaging to our community or deemed harmful to the interests of a user of CAP Space.
- Engaging in or supporting any efforts to upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment, or engaging in or supporting any efforts intended to manipulate or in any way use or represent the CAP Space website for the purpose of disrupting or causing harm to any third-party websites, services or resources.
- Engaging in or supporting any efforts to upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available any material copyrighted by someone other than the submitter or content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party. In connection with the use of CAP Space, you are required to abide by all applicable international, federal, state or local laws, including those pertaining to such areas as libel, slander, defamation, trade libel, product disparagement, harassment, invasion of privacy, tort, obscenity, indecency, and copyright or trademark infringement. The ACM CCECC has the right, but not the obligation, to monitor and edit or remove any activity or contribution that violates intellectual property rights; the ACM CCECC further reserves the right to restrict or terminate access by users who infringe the intellectual property rights of others.
- Attempting to collect personal data from or about the CAP Space user community without proper authorization.
Modifications of Service
The ACM CCECC reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, CAP Space (or any part thereof) with or without prior notice. You agree that the ACM CCECC shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of CAP Space.
You agree to indemnify and hold the ACM CCECC and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, employees, partners, CAP Space members and participants, and licensors harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of content you submit, post, transmit or otherwise make available through CAP Space, your use of CAP Space, your connection to CAP Space, your violation of the AUP or your violation of any rights of another party.
Disclaimer of Warranties
- Your use of CAP Space is at your sole risk. CAP Space is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. The ACM CCECC and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, employees, agents, partners and licensors expressly disclaim all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement.
- The ACM CCECC and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, employees, agents, partners and licensors make no warranty that CAP Space will meet your requirements; CAP Space will be uninterrupted, timely, secure or error-free; the results that may be obtained from the use of CAP Space will be accurate or reliable; or that any errors in the software will be corrected.
- Any material downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of CAP Space is accessed at your own discretion and risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any such material.
- No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from CAP Space or through or from CAP Space shall create any warranty not expressly stated in this AUP.
Limitation of Liability
- You understand and agree that the ACM CCECC and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, employees, agents, partners and licensors shall not be liable to you for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including, but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if the ACM CCECC has been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from the use or the inability to use CAP Space; the cost of procurement of substitute goods or services resulting from any goods, data, information or services purchased or obtained or messages received or transactions entered into through or from CAP Space; unauthorized access to or alteration of your transmissions or data; statements or conduct of any third party on CAP Space; or any other matter relating to CAP Space.
- You understand and agree that by using CAP Space, you may be exposed to content that is offensive, indecent or objectionable. Under no circumstances will the ACM CCECC and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, employees, agents, partners and licensors be liable in any way for any content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, e-mailed, transmitted or otherwise made available via CAP Space.
- You understand and agree that CAP Space is provided "as-is" and that the ACM CCECC and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, employees, agents, partners and licensors assume no responsibility for the timeliness, deletion, missed delivery or failure to store any user communications or personalization settings.
Adopted Nov. 24, 2009