In early 2018 the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) endorsed their first curricular volume for Cybersecurity designed for four-year institutions referred to as CSEC2017. The ACM Committee for Computing Education in Community Colleges (CCECC) formed a task force to create a similar cybersecurity curriculum guidance for two-year programs. The content of these guidelines, known as Cyber2yr2020, is based on CSEC2017, and influenced by the CAE-CD 2Y 2019 knowledge units (requirements of the NSA and DHS National Centers of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense), the NICE cybersecurity workforce framework, and other relevant sources.
Cyber2yr Project Status
After nearly two years of work, the task force of 10 community college educators is happy to release the final report. In creating the Cyber2yr2020 guidelines, the task group closely reviewed the CSEC2017 knowledge units and identified which ones are appropriate at the 2-year level. Furthermore, competencies were crafted for each knowledge area, and learning outcomes for each included knowledge unit.
Drafts of the guidance went through two rounds of public review and comment (StrawDog and IronDog drafts), with conference presentations, focus group feedback sessions, mailing list dissemination, and survey input all used to improve the guidelines.
Last update: 1 February 2020
Cyber2yr2020 Program Examples (will be posted soon)
- Ivy Tech Community College - Cybersecurity / Information Assurance AAS
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Cybersecurity AAS
- Bluegrass Community and Technical College - Computer and Information Technologies - 4 courses that mapped to CAE KUs
- Submit yours!
Task Group Members
- Cara Tang, Portland Community College, Portland, OR
- Cindy Tucker, Bluegrass Community and Technical College, Lexington, KY
- Christian Servin, El Paso Community College, El Paso, TX
- Markus Geissler, Cosumnes River College, Sacramento, CA
- Melissa Stange, Lord Fairfax Community College, Middletown, VA
- Nancy Jones, Coastline Community College, Garden Grove, CA
- James Kolasa, Bluegrass Community and Technical College, Lexington, KY
- Amelia Phillips, Highline College, Des Moines, WA
- Lambros Piskopos, Wilbur Wright College, Chicago, IL
- Pam Schmelz, Ivy Tech Community College, Columbus, IN